Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Medellin Central Walk

    September 29, 2023 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    For today we planned to have a self explore around the city. Since Juan lives here in Medellin it was a bit easier to find the places we wanted to get to.

    But Alex and I started the morning with a very hardy breakfast, Bandeja Paisa. Which to me is the Latino version of an English big breakfast. Pork belly instead of bacon, arepas instead of toast, eggs, rice, a soup of beans instead of baked beans, avocado and plantain. It wasn't until I arrived in Colombia that I found out is not a breakfast at all, it's meant to be a lunch.

    Catching the metro train into the centre of the city was so smooth. Trains arrive every few minutes and you can travel up to half an hour on the train or cable car for half an hour for around AU$1.20.

    We walked through the street market before arriving at Plaza Botero. Another reminder of just how revered he was as an artist in this country. Filled with full size sculptures of his most famous pieces. Then we found ourselves in the Palace of Culture, which was quiet but very nice to walk around and see the art and other pieces as we headed up.

    Before we left, I knew from a YouTube video I watched that there was a special drink sold here with aphrodisiac properties that we just had to have a try of. Even though I'm sure it's against every rule the travel doctor told us not to do.
    Read more