Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Cartagena

    October 4, 2023 in Colombia ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    Literally slapped in the face with heat and humidity the moment we stepped off the plane. A reminder that we're not in the mountains anymore, welcome back to sea level for the first time in 20 days and welcome to the Carribbean town of Cartagena.

    Castillo de San Filipe de Barajas is a giant fort, not castle, that was used to protect this town many times from invading countries. Infact the only time it lost was suspected because of an insider job. The people were unhappy with the governer at the time and let the French take over.

    A very imposing structure that is filled with tunnels and traps and space for dozens of cannons from all sides.

    After that we explored the walled city. This part is heritage protected and was the main areas for the rich of colonial times. Protected by a high wall, the streets are narrow and stone, still with house and carriage filling them. Each corner and street telling a different story of the history of this city.

    Outside the walled part of the city we walked to the Getsemani neighbourhood. Which what they lack in wealthy houses they exceed in the wealth of culture and vibrancy. A very pretty area, especially say night with it alight with colour.

    I agree there are some beautiful pictures. But the hidden truth behind them is this city is uncomfortably hot. Way too hot.
    Read more