Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Quito, Ecuador

    October 8, 2023 in Ecuador ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Back in the Andes, and bang in the middle of the planet, literally.

    First stop was the Museo del Sitio Intinan.

    The skinny little pole in the pictures is the true equator line. Not very grand right? We'll they have another giant monument as well, 250 metres away... But it's in the wrong spot.

    The museum looked a little cringy and fake. But it was actually a lot of fun and interactive. They do some experiments like coriolis effect with water in one side of the line and water in the other and water in the middle. Another was to try and balance an egg on a nail on the line. If you managed to balance it then you got a certificate and became an egg master... I am an egg master. And some other playful experiments with the line. No idea how sciency they are, but it was a bit of fun.

    Then we went over to the monument which was erected for the "middle of the world". You can climb up to the top and along the way it gives details of the city of Quito , history, people and information on other areas of Ecuador.

    The relentless schedule, the heat of Cartagena, the late nights same the altitude of Quito was all having an affect on us tonight. So we went to the hotel, had a simple dinner in the restaurant and then went to bed early.
    Read more