Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Clay Lick

    October 11, 2023 in Ecuador

    Even in the jungle there are no sleep-ins, actually here it is important to wake up early because that's when the animals are most active.

    So we started paddling back down the little lake for another 2 hours. This is the only way in and out of the centre, everything we see, touch or eat has been transported in using these paddle canoes.

    We had some caiman greet us 'good morning', which is always a nice feeling when you are 2 inches off the top of the water. But then not too far down the river was a family of Giant Otter that had come out to eat and play. Chewing away on fish there were about 4 of them completely ignoring us as they enjoyed themselves.

    Along the way we continued to enjoy the range of birds that were by the banks of the river, flying away as we got near enough for a photo.

    The clay lick was out on the main river, a short distance from the north of the little lake. We change boats over to a motorised boat for that part.

    Due to the weather being a little foggy and overcast, today didn't seem to be a day the parrots and macaws wanted to come down to the clay lick. We stayed for a short time with our fingers crossed. But there wasn't any around today.
    Read more