Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Forest Walk

    October 12, 2023 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Today's adventures were a little more relaxed, so starting a little later to head out for a forest walk. But we didn't miss our friends the giant otters still crunching away on fish as they hung around some tree roots. There seemed to be more today, and they were definitely being louder today.

    A short paddle a little further we entered the forest again, no knowledge of what we will see. I mentioned previously that the wildlife centre is run by the community, as part of that each group has two guides. A naturalist guide who is an expert in the flora and fauna of the region, and a community guide who lives and works in this area. Party of this walk we stopped several times to learn about the trees, seeds, leafs and way they are used in the community. For example the walking palm, that actually repositions itself periodically to get closer to the sun, but this tree has a spiky legs that are used like a grater for potatoes, cassava and other things. We also had a demonstration on how the palm leafs are manipulated and folded to make the roofs of the huts of the centre and traditional homes.

    We saw lizards, and more of the wooly monkeys and other types of creepy crawlies before heading back.
    Read more