Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    On the way

    January 4, 2022 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Having booked very spontaneously the night before we go diving/snorkelling - to not miss out on anything but also to have a proper break on our way up north. After a small detour we find Herradura beach, hop on a boat and get to see part of the Costa rican underwater world. Mali sees a swarm of big blue fish, there's rays jumping out of the water and the divers go to a shipwreck on their second dive. It's nice for a break but the visibility leaves to be desired and our sunblock seems to have given up the fight with the Costa rican sun and we get burned noses. Oh well!
    Having strengthened ourselves with a lunch on the beach we continue our drive. Next stop: Crocodile bridge at Tárcoles river. Apparently people used to throw their foodwaste out of the cars when driving past (nowadays strictly forbidden but apparently still happens at times), which led to an abundance of crocodiles. (The waste you see is by the way not from the locals but was carried all the way from San José to gather here where two rivers meet.) One, two, ... up to twelve crocodiles at one glance off the safety of the bridge! Definitely an impressive sight! And it feels different knowing these animals live here in the wild than just seeing them in a zoo.
    Further north we go, away from the coast and up ever trickier roads. We're glad we have a 4x4. And then we finally arrive in famous Monteverde! Check-in at the Hotel Don Taco, booking tours for the next day, and rewarding ourselves with some delicious food at the Treehouse restaurant. Very cool location - impressive how much wind a tree can hold off. Then, off to sleep!
    Read more