Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Tyne cot cemetry- Burial

    July 16, 2022 in Belgium ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Today I had mixed emotions, it was with sadness, happiness and honour that we layed to rest an Unknown Australian Soldier.

    It is sad that he has been one with the earth in an unknown resting place where he lay undisturbed and unbeknown to anyone for 106 years.

    It is sad that his direct family would have passed on without ever knowing where he lay. Never knowing those final moments of their son, brother, father, uncle or nephews life. Forever left wondering, never getting the closure or having a place to go and pay their respects.

    it is with happiness that he has been found and today he recieved the burial he deserved. The burial of a soldier, a warrior and a hero.

    A man of honour who left the comforts of home to fight for his country on foreign soil, to a place where he paid the ultimate sacrifice. 106 years on we can finally say his duty is done, he can now rest easy with his mates.

    As UWC-A work's to find his identity one day this unknown Australian soldier will have his name back and whomever walks past his headstone will know his name and his history.

    For now he is unknown, but when that day comes, I know for certain I will be sharing his story.

    Hopefully one day his family will finally be able to find peace in knowing he has been found and today we had the privilage of helping him to his final resting place.
    Read more