Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    La Paz

    March 7, 2020 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    We arrived in La Paz yesterday and it is the worlds highest capital city (Of Bolivia) at 3600 metres above sea level! And the airport is at 4000 metres! The air is quite thin and most people get altitude sickness but we are okay because we acclimatised in Peru. What I find really extraordinary is all of La Paz was UNDERSEA!

    My favourite thing we did today was visit a place called ‘Moon Valley’. La Paz used to be underwater, and we found some fossils of fish, which is surprising as we are nearly 4000 metres up in the sky... The Moon Valley is a place is an “Other Worldy” place, hence the name, Moon Valley. The rocks were nothing like I had ever seen before! Every one was different but all the same?

    Next we went on a CABLE CAR! Instead of an underground train system, they have a cable car system! 🚡 🚠 It was so cool to see the city from above! The cable cars are the same as at the ski resorts without the ski holes on the outside and it felt like we were going skiing! (Without snow)

    Driving through La Paz, we saw loads of Cholets, which are super fancy houses that are used for weddings, anniversaries, 15th birthday parties, which is a special birthday in Bolivia. Personally, I find the Cholets quite tacky, don’t tell anyone 🤫, but they are obviously very popular with the Bolivians!
    Read more