Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Rest day in Honduras

    November 18, 2023 in Honduras ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    A well earned rest day. Breakfast at 7 is a very late breakfast but unfortunately it’s the usual fare of scrambled eggs, beans and rice, cheese and fried plantain - which we have had our fill of. And the coffee is the usual also. We have high hopes of a good coffee in town - apparently Honduras is the 6th largest exporter of coffee in the world. After catching up on admin / emails / banking / Beth’s flat purchase and cleaning bikes and changing to thicker tyres ready for the next few days that will be gravel, we head into town. First coffee shop is disappointing so we ask a local and get directed to another which has colourful hammock seats (see picture). We ask for an americano with cold milk on side and end up with an espresso and a massive cup of frothy hot milk ! But also an amazing cheesecake. Then a bit of shopping - Honduras cap for John to add to his collection and other small bits and pieces. Lunch is a bit disappointing- tacos but the beef mince doesn’t look well enough cooked so we leave that. Catharine buys a bottle of water for a young girl who is selling biscuits and says she is thirsty, only to watch the wee girl then take the bottle outside and hand it over to an older women who pockets it - perhaps to resell ?
    John reads in the hammock outside in the afternoon - it’s a really lovely temperature - while Catharine uses the 3 basin washing system for the water bottles - washing up liquid and brush, water to rinse then diluted bleach. Catharine gets a virtual yellow card from TDA staff member for talking to Kate (in mask) from a distance of about 6 metres - a bit extreme.
    The proper TDA van arrived - only 2 weeks late - it was held up in a blockade in Panama so the vans we had been using were vans they had to hire in Costa Rica at the last minute.
    Dinner out at a restaurant that is made up of multiple restaurants all vying for your order - so Catharine had pizza from one place and John and the 5 other guys ordered from various other restaurants but we all sat at same table - the billing is complex but it works ! Bed just after 9pm ready for 5.10am start tomorrow.
    Read more