Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Day 20 - Antigua to Panajachel

    November 29, 2023 in Guatemala ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    We started the day with the riders briefing at 6am on the roof terrace as the sun was rising and were treated to amazing views of the surrounding volcanoes.
    We were on the road before 7 and once off the cobbled roads of Antigua we started to climb. Then we got to the section described as hike-a-bike - it is a narrow road made of compacted clay / dirt which is really a series of pockmarks and water channels winding upwards through trees. It was just about rideable so long as you didn’t lose your nerve - except when we got to a bit in the deep shade which was wet and the slick tyres just slid so we needed to walk. The 6km on the Pan American highway was ok as there was a metre consistent hard shoulder without too many obstacles in.
    Then we climbed into a beautiful lush mountainous area with great views before lunch stop at 10.15 - Just before the river crossing. They use 25 avocados in the fresh guacamole that they make most days to feed about 18 people including staff. They have to dispose of the perishable food after every lunch but usually they are able to give to locals - or stray dogs!
    The river crossing isn’t that high but it is very smelly so shoes will need washed again 😩
    The temperature is lovely - hot but cool breeze as we climb. There are loads of fields with crops everywhere and a lot of workers still using hand tools.
    When we start the descent we get truly amazing views of Lake Atitalan. There are beautiful flowers and plants everywhere as well.
    We enter Panajachel and it is very pretty but clearly touristy. We are at the hotel by 1pm so time to sit by the pool and relax !
    Read more