Satellite
  • Day 45

    The Gateway to Broome

    August 10, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    With the wind still behind us, we made good time and arrived at our new home for the next 3 days. A large camp, consisting of blocks of red dirt. Hot and windy too. No power, only water.
    We had lunch and headed off to Broome. The Information center was of little help, but we wandered round the town. However, being a country town, the shops all close at 2pm on a Saturday. We called into the Roebuck Bay Hotel, and it wasn't until Ian pointed it out that I realised that several of the barmaids were dressed only in skimpy bra and knickers.
    There was a campfire at 5.30 back at base, with happy hour. Luke was cooking his sausages, and Dan lit the fire. Luke showed me a video of his friends caravan exploding and burning all the family's possessions. An electrical fault apparently. Luke was travelling, and picking up manual jobs as he went. Another guy came over with his dog Spot. He introduced himself as being from the thick country!!! Apparently this means thick scrub. His dog was a Pig dog, that hunted wild pigs. Never seen anything like it! Seemed a little bit like Hillbilly stuff.
    Read more