Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Arriving on the continent

    July 6, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Today we woke up and got ready to go for breakfast. We took a walk down the royal mile as it had been reopened after the events yesterday. We walked down to Holyroodhouse, seeing the palace and also the Scottish Parliament house. We ended up grabbing breakfast next to our hostel and Erin grabbed a donut for the road. We walked to the tram stop and jumped on the airport tram. Once at the airport, it was so busy. People were everywhere. We eventually got to check our bags in, they even make you put it on the belt which is fun. We finally got through security and had one final Wetherspoons hoorah. Erin had her wine and I grabbed another coffee. The flight was pretty easy but a bit delayed. We ended up in Dusseldorf around 5pm. Ironically I said to Erin, they never really care about questioning people in Europe but the guy asked me my plans for staying in Germany. Luckily he was cute. Erin's bag came out quickly but mine took forever.
    We jumped in an uber and the poor guys GPS took him to a tunnel. He didn't know where to go and his English was bad but he was so lovely. We struggled to find the entrance but finally found it. After dragging the bags up stairs, we got to our massive apartment that has 5 beds. Erin and I literally have our own bedrooms which was unexpected. We quickly got ready and headed to our tour meeting point.
    We walked through the old town which is gorgeous. There was so many people out enjoying the evening. We stood awkwardly by the meeting fountain as there was noone else around but then our guide Theresa. She told us we were the only ones on the tour tonight and was scared because we were 'native' English speakers. We walked to the first brewery whilst chatting and getting to know Theresa, she was so lovely. We had Altbeer which is a Dusseldorf speciality, this place had been brewing since 1640. The waitstaff carried big trays with about 30 small glasses of beer just exchanging glasses. Theresa told us you have to put the coasters on top of the beer to tell them you're finished or they'll keep bringing you glasses of it. The beer was great and the vibes were very fun.
    We walked to the next place which was a more modern but the beer was very good. On the walk to the next place, Theresa told us about a traditional shot like Jager but more herby. Erin and I took a shot with varying success (please see attached footage). The final place was a good drop as well and we asked Theresa for her suggestions on Dusseldorf. She had loved our accents and learning our words for things. It was such a fun evening. Erin and I then went to a restaurant around the corner to grab a schnitzel and beer. Everyone was super lovely and helping us out as we speak no German. We then walked back to the apartment and headed off to sleep.
    Read more