Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    We love Metz and Metzal

    July 26, 2023 in France ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Today we woke up, I went for a light run with Erin and then we cooked some breakfast. Erin and I walked to the tourism office and got a very helpful map before we found a street with a dragon statue. The dragon was slayed by the first priest of the area whom the town is named after, Metz. We walked back and picked up our walking tour leaders, Kate and Liisa. First stop was the cathedral which was the biggest and most grand I've been into. The stained glass windows are 600m² around the church (thanks Liisa for the fact) and were so diverse with so much colour. Next we went over to the free musuem and saw so many sculptures, artifacts and art. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
    Then we walked down the main street for lunch stopping a pretzel bakery. We each got a savoury and a sweet deliciousness each then sat for a drink at Kangarou Cafe which strangely had no connection to Australia. The waiter also told us "the Kangaroo is just a fun symbol we use" which was highly offensive in my opinion. Next we continued the walking tour, seeing some statues, parks, old buildings and eating our sweet treats. We came back to the apartment for a quick rest, then headed to the main gates of Metz which resembled a castle. We walked down to the river via these great food markets. We found a bar and grabbed a drink, Liisa took the photo of the day and I had a mojito that may have been straight rum. We then searched for an elusive camping chair before heading to dinner.
    We ordered drinks and attempted to order dinner, however were told French people don't eat until after 7pm. It was worth the wait though, half had a voulevant and the other had a quiche lorraine platter which was excellent. We were also told bon appetite by a man carrying an open bottle of Rose #winning. We then headed home and watched some Netflix before heading to bed. Last night before the yurt adventure begins.
    Read more