Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 9 Mt. Cook

    March 2, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Last night we slept in a real bed! It was a much needed luxury, although heather was up hacking for most of the night. We woke up and were treated to a hot breakfast! It was nice to not have to cook or do dishes for 2 meals in a row. We then ventured into Queenstown, which was a shit show. We finally found parking spot on our second pass through town. We went to the isite to find an adventure activity, however, we just couldn't convince ourselves to spend 600$ for 5 seconds of exhilaration. Therefore, we decided to head to mount cook via a couple wineries. First we stopped at the best grocery store we've been to yet, and stocked up on supplies(that may have been the highlight of Qtown, after the real bed and hot breakfast of course)Heather bought some otc morphine for her cough, hopefully that helps tonight.

    We went to three wineries and at the second we did a tour of their manmade wine cave. The central otago region is famous for their Pinot noir grapes, also Pinot Gris are popular. Chad tried gerwisterminer wine for the first time and liked it. They have some dry reislings in this region, which were also tasty. We went and watched a couple people bungee jumping and then got on the road.

    The weather was a little yucky today, lots of wind and threatening to rain. We drove past lake Pukake, which was an amazing azure blue, with the mountains behind it. We arrived at our campground right when the rain was starting. It was blustery and rainy, so we created a couch on our bed and watched 1/2 a movie. There seemed to be a break in the weather, so we collected our cooking stuff and ran to the communal shelter. We made some yummy quesadillas and then quickly retreated to the shelter of the van. We finished watching our movie and then went to brush our teeth and it may have been snowing? We are going to bed and the campground appears to be tucked in at the base of a huge mountain, we can see the bottom of the glaciers. We are hoping to wake up and be amazed at the view!
    Read more