Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Day 11 Te Anua

    March 5, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Today we woke up in our secluded spot, with great views of Mount Cook, it was nice not to wake up in the crowded wal-mart parking lot style national park campground. There are no designated sites in the doc campground, it's just a free for all. We then got on the road to Te Anua. We stopped at a salmon farm stand and bought some fresh salmon, we also bought some fresh fruit from a fruit stand. The highlight of the day was going to Fergburger in Queenstown, which Chad had been waiting for the whole trip. It was delicious. We finished the uneventful drive to Te Anua and found our very nice holiday park right on the lake. We did laundry and then heather convinced Chad to go to a bird sanctuary. We saw a kaka (parrot) and also a bird they thought was once extinct, but they found a hold out in Fjordland. They are called takahe, they are a chicken like flightless bird, who were brown and fluffy on top, but blueish purple on the bottom, they kind of looked like dinosaurs.

    We finished the night with smoked salmon, cheese sticks, boxed wine, and carrots, a real classy meal. We went to bed early to awake early for the drive to milford sound.
    Read more