Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    Antigua & Acatenango Part I

    July 12, 2021 in Guatemala ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    After a almost 20h trip we arrived in Antigua. We had to take a night bus from San Cristobal, Mexico to Tapachula, a taxi then to Talisman, where we crossed the border, a colectivo to Malacatan, a bus to Escuintla and finally the last Chickenbus to Antigua. What an adventure. We saved a lot of money. A private shuttle from San Cristobal to Antigua would have been more than twice expensive.
    In Antigua we relaxed a bit and discovered the beautiful City. We now understand why a lot of people compared Antigua to San Cristobal. The style is kind of the same and the people are also extremely helpful and nice.
    After a few days we did the overnight hiking tour to Volcano Acatenango. What a trip. We were a bit unlucky during our way up. It rained all the time and didn’t stop till the next morning. Means we didn’t see the active volcano Fuego at all. In the Morning the clouds finally moved a bit so we were able to see Fuego for a few minutes and the dark smoke coming out of it.
    It was still an amazing experience and we decided to come back to Antigua and give it another try!
    But for the moment we are planning to go to lake Atitlan to rest a bit and to prepare the upcoming weeks.
    Read more