Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    The frenzied and muddled rendezvous

    July 29, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    Today is the last full day Peter and Steph are in this German speaking part of Italy.
    After packing they headed for the southeastern end of the Alpe di Siusi section of the Dolomite’s. My plan was to rendezvous with them at some point in the afternoon. The best of intentions evolved into a constantly changing marker as to where we would meet.
    Boxer had intended to explore the same area without taking the trail they were trekking on.This plan was curtailed when the Ciamponoi gondola experienced mechanical difficulties.
    Boxer took a bus back toward Castelrotto and a trail that would take him toward Malga Schafstallhutte, a favorite refuge, where the food is good and the beer is cold. The trail he chose was fine to begin with but the closer he got to the rendezvous point the more the trail seem to disappear. It was from the looks of it a seldom use path. At one point the trail just came to an abrupt end, necessitating Boxer to bushwhack his way to a paved road. This would lead to a chairlift ride to a trail that he was sure would intersect with his companions.
    Meanwhile P+S were trekking below the Sasso Longo listening to a guided party being serenaded by an alphorn. I took the Marinzen chairlift from Castelrotto and the #12 trail west to a place I felt our paths would cross. We scrubbed the planned refuge for the Marinzen hutte and a couple of Radler ‘s.
    Note: in a stroke of irony I gave the moniker of Radler to an coworker at Weyerhaeuser - Rick Adler -many years ago…he is no longer with us and missed
    Read more