Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Off on an Adventure

    July 18, 2018 in Fiji ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Early start today as our private tour guide was picking us up at 9:30am.
    We visited the Chiefly Fijian villages of Viseisei, the legendary landing site of the first Fijians who were cannibals. That was until the missionaries arrived and eventually changed the Fijians into Christians. Sadly, a few missionaries were eaten before the Fujians all changed their eating habits thou.
    We then travelled the ‘free massage’ road to the Garden of the Sleeping Giant. There we saw the famous collection of orchids and tropical plants founded by Raymond Burr (Ironside) in 1977. After he died he left the garden to the Hawaiian Society. The Nadi Hindu Temple was very beautiful as it had only just had its 12 yearly paint job . At the farmers markets we tried Kava, the traditional national drink of Fiji. The photos explain the taste but we were reassured by our driver, who after grinding the roots and making his 2 litres worth everyday, he is more relaxed and ready for the next day. He said better than alcohol...we don’t think so!!!
    The afternoon was spent lounging on the beach until sunset. A pina colada for mum and a Vonu
    beer for us. Sitting back now listening to the live easy listening music. Kath and mum head back to the room via a swim in the dark and then we settle back with room service meals and renting a movie ‘The Foreigner’.
    Special memories with special people.
    Read more