Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Kuranda + Koalas + Kangaroos

    June 25, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 77 °F

    Dreams do come true. Today was an awesome day thanks to Maddy’s planning. We started the day taking a vintage train (on its 132nd birthday!) to the Kuranda Tropical Rain Forest. It was about a 2 hour ride up through the mountains, lots of very cool tunnels (15) and stunning views.

    Once we arrived we had to hurry over to check in and get on our Duck ride through the jungle. A Duck is an amphibious truck from World War II. Our guide Lance loved to talk and we learned so much about the rainforest (but he talked super fast, faster than we could listen so we missed a bunch of it😳). But it was still great fun!

    After the Duck ride we saw an Aboriginal dance. The big dance they did involved knocking their knees together much like the Charleston (hitting your knees together) During the dance they played the digerido (an long instrument made from wood) and showed us how to play if after. Then they showed us how to throw spears when hunting. They used a stick with a hook on the end that they inserted into the end of the spear and used it to give it a slingshot effect. They could really chuck it! Unfortunately they never hit their target, and even sadder we didn't get to try throwing a spear ourselves. Then we had a boomerang demonstration. This was great as we got to try throwing a boomerang ourselves. They use the boomerang to hunt birds.

    Then we got visit the little zoo. We saw Tasmanian Devils, dingos (they were beautiful,) giant crocodiles, one of which was 73 years old and was 16 feet long called Jack the Ripper (apparently he has killed 12 of his wives,) and the highlight: kangaroos! We were able to feed them by hand!

    Then came the reason for the whole day: we got to hold a koala! Labor laws for koalas are very strict so we were with the koala for a very short time, but Maddy, Emily, and Amy were allowed to hold Ollie (all 22 pounds of him, he was a bit chubby) and get a picture taken!

    Then it was time to head back to Cairns; we took the Skyrail (think ski mountain gondola). The trip took about 1.5 hours with so many spectacular views. The Tropical Rain Forest really needs to be seen to be appreciated!

    When we got back we had a some dinner, did some souvenir shopping and ended the night with another rousing game of Crew! Tomorrow: the Great Barrier Reef!
    Read more