Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 17

    Goin’ Down under Down Under + Em’s B-day

    26 czerwca 2023, Australia ⋅ ☁️ 70 °F

    It was a wonderful long day out on the water. We got up early and scootered over to the marina to catch our boat for the day. Em and Maddy grabbed drinks before we loaded up our full boat. The drive out to the reef this morning was full of many safety briefs (about the boat/water safety, scuba diving, and snorkeling), breakfast and some sickness (Dad and Emily needed some fresh air). Maddy was the only one able to scuba dive so she got her three rules and group number and then everyone was ready to start snorkeling. The boat anchored at Saxon Reef, 55km northeast of Cairns, part of the Outer Great Barrier Reef. We were given flippers, masks/snorkels and wet suits for Dad and Maddy and we jumped into the water.

    The reef was amazing. So much coral and many many fish to see. We saw a shark and a turtle! It is literally a whole new world down there. Mom’s favorite was a rainbow fish and Dad loved to be able to breath underwater. After about an hour it was Maddy’s turn to try an Introductory to Scuba dive! She and two other people joined her guide Harry. After she reviewed the three rules of scuba diving: 1) keep breathing 2) equalize your ears and 3) follow your guide, and passed the two skill tests, Maddy was underwater. She thought It was so cool to be down there, and be surrounded by coral and fish and highly recommends it!

    After the morning snorkel and dive we were served a delicious barbecue lunch, and were able to relax. We traveled to our next location on the reef, about 200 meters away. After our food all settled, we were ready to hit the water again. At this point, we’re all expert snorkelers and were exploring the reef in no time. We saw a turtle again! After an hour or so we headed back to the boat, returned all our gear and started our trek back to the shore. While we drove back we were served a glass of wine and some crackers and cheese. Maddy and Emily hung out on top while Dad tried to get over his seasickness inside with mom.

    Once we made it back to land and our hotel, we all got cleaned up and ready for Em’s birthday dinner! We had a reservation at a steakhouse right by the pier. We hopped on our scooters again (Maddy wishes they had cruise control!) and were there in no time. We all enjoyed tasty steaks and a lovely birthday brownie with sparklers to celebrate!

    Today was a great day exploring the great barrier reef and celebrating Emily :)
    Czytaj więcej