Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 108

    KaraGani Winery

    October 23, 2022 in Moldova ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    I had been talking to the owners of KaraGani Winery for about a week via WhatsApp, and we had booked to come here for a tour of the winery, and a wine tasting lunch at 1pm.

    When we arrived, we couldn't find anyone, just cats everywhere lazing about in the sun in silence...

    We knocked on various doors and waited around, eventually we found a door that was open with a table laid for 2 people we assumed must be us 🤣 so we waited some more and then the friendliest man ever appeared. He didn't speak a word of English which was surprising after the WhatsApp conversation... But he was just the most jolly, positive man we've ever met 😆

    His wife spoke no English either so we weren't exactly sure what to do. We'd come expecting a tour followed by lunch but we were signalled to sit down so we did. Occasionally the lady came over and spoke into her phone in Romanian for it to translate to us...

    "what are you having for lunch?" she asked us 🤔😆 which amused us greatly, we of course didn't know, we asked for a menu, there was none 😆 I said "anything!" (we later half suspected she thought I meant everything 🤣)
    Well they kept coming and pouring us new wines, and bringing more and more food 😆 we made peace with the fact we were never going to get a tour because we simply couldn't communicate at all. We didn't mind, the food was all incredible, the place itself was lovely,relaxed and comfortable but just fancy enough to feel special, and the wines were great so we felt like we had had a fantastic Moldovan experience regardless of the fact it was different to what we'd planned...
    Read more