Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Sintra (Part 2) & drive to the Algrave

    September 26, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    Day 5-Sintra (part 2) & drive to Algavre coast

    This time we took the correct path and ended up at Quinta da Regaleira one of the most visited estates in Sintra. A beautiful gothic palace, it is more famously known for its eccentric gardens, grottos, tunnels and well. The estate had many owners over the years, however, it was “Monteiro the Millionaire” who bought it in 1892 that made it the eclectic site it is today. As is now, money doesn’t necessarily buy taste. Monteiro went on to build a bewildering place where he added enigmatic buildings and structures. The most intriguing—the “initiation well.” There have many hypotheses as to the reason for this upside down tower but ultimately most feel it was just an escape from reality. Listening to a guide explain it to her group, she advanced the belief that the climb down the steps down the tower like birth and the tunnels afterwards like choices in life-some right, some wrong-but ultimately we find the end. “WELL, that was deep.” Not sure if I feel reborn, but I very much enjoyed the unusual gardens and palace today.

    Having some time to spare, we meandered the city of Sintra. Portugal reportedly is a major world provider of cork and oddly they have found a way to make just about everything out of cork-purses, hat, shoes, books. Managing to find the perfect 10 euro purse in a mini mart, I have been the object of nonstop ridicule since. Fortunately thick skinned, I was not deterred and I am still on the hunt next quirky cork acquisition!

    Hopping in the car, we navigated 3 hours south to the Algrave coast to get some sea and sand for the next few days. A beautiful view off our balcony, we decided to stay in for dinner and after our first euchre match of the trip, we retired to our rooms lulled to sleep by the sounds of the sea.
    Read more