Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Granada

    September 29, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    Day 8-Granada

    Todays adventure-Granada and the famous Alhambra. A walled collection of palaces, a fortress, and medina are called 'Alhambra' (meaning 'The Red'). Built on a plateau that overlooks the city, the Alhambra was built chiefly between 1238 and 1358, during the Nasrid dynasty. Walking through the remains of the Medina(or old city), we headed next to the Alcazaba, or citadel. Dating back to the 8th century, only its outer walls, towers, and ramparts are left. Beyond the Alcazaba is the Nasrid palace. Obviously the crowned jewel of the site, we oohed and ahhed along with the rest of the crowd. Stopping longer at the famous portions including the Court of the Myrtles, where in the center a large reflecting pond is set into the marble tiles. Surrounding the Court of Myrtles are the rooms of the Comares Palace filled with intricate carvings, stalactites and woodwork. The Court of the Lions, also well known, is beautifully flanked by white marble columns and again white marble flooring. Water flows everywhere through the marble and reaches to the center of the court where it flows from the Fountain of the Lions, the emblems of strength and courage. In 1492, the Alhambra and the kingdom were transferred to Ferdinand and Isabella, ending eight centuries of Arab rule in the Iberian Peninsula. From that day forward, the transformation of the palace for the Christian kings was begun and the Palace of Carlos V was added as the final structure to the site.

    Having our fill of seeing history, we decided descend down into the city to the foot of the Alhambra to partake in history. The Arab bath—the thousand-year-old tradition of the hammam. It was here that the first bath was opened in Spain, five centuries after the Catholic Monarchs decided to close them down. Not sure the guys were hip to the idea at first, but who wouldn’t love soaking in beautiful mosaic baths? The experience was complimented with flickering candles, mild aromas, soothing gentle background music and of course massages and stretches. Leaving relaxed and happy, we splurged on a wonderful steak and lamb meal before the dreaded hike UP to the car on top of the Alhambra.
    Read more