Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Theodore Rooseveldt Park (South Unit)...

    June 15, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 66 °F

    From North of Bowman, ND, South to Lowman...
    Nice area we drove through from Black Hills (SD) into ND. Absolutely lovely "East WY.-like" rolling hills, and nothing but grasslands. Came through heavy rain in SD. All the way into just past Buffalo, ND. ( ROAD SIGN READS: " Buffalo [straight on] Bison [Turn right.] I can hear it now: "So, where do you live?"
    " Me? That all depends... scientifically, it's 'Bison'; colloquially, it's 'Buffalo'.
    Actually, two small towns, one scientifically correct ( bison bison), the other, home to them who pets 'furry cows'.
    Got one of the last sites in the South Unit of Roosevelt. I drove from Buffalo in ND to here.
    "And here..." Connie says "... is supper!"
    Supper has been appropriately supped, I crashed for an hours ' cat-nap', weariness snuck up from somewhere...
    Lovely park and area we drove through, just one thing sends chills down my spine - the mere thought of winter, blizzard conditions across these vast, unprotected plains, is enough to send me into spasms of Arizona joy, slobbering at the gills at the thought of balmy AZ winters: "Oh wind if winter comes... Connie and Jack will not be seen in this area."
    Aah yes, just as I was swallowing the last of the mug of tea (had to inaugurate teapot to the Chariot) came suddenly out of the 10:37 dusk, "Knock! Knock!"
    "Who's there?"
    "Buffalo in camp..., come see... " said the neighbour,
    "You mean bison... WAIT, I need my trousers...! Ooh, my camera, unzip camera bag... HURRY! - damn, who needs trousers? "
    Just saw the rump of a 'furry cow' disappearing between a 5th wheel and a truck....
    "Then..." , said neighbour, "...awhile ago (where?) a bear put his (her?) paw through the half opened driver side window, and nearly pulled the car-a-van over - while I was in bed".
    Hmmm...
    Till next time, all is well, "... where the bear, the buffalo and the bison roam..." WAIT... this means that in the very early hours, for me to shuffle off to the 'long-drop', might be ever so...? Ooh dear - now what? "
    Connie and Jack.
    Read more