Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 90

    Jasper, South to Banff,

    July 21, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 72 °F

    Found this site halfway south of Jasper, in typical Canadian forest, well mixed with aspen etc., just in time after 12:20 this p. m. - no sooner had we secured the site than a stream of vehicles started searching past the site.
    For certain Banff and Jasper are nothing but glorified tourist traps using Nature as a lure. So much for the ' Canadian experience' - thinking of a Yellowstone redux if we can find sites - but it will soon be August High season.
    Highschool geography stated that geographically, North America is defined by large swiftly flowing rivers. Right, about .4 of a km. from here she flows - esp. swiftly. The fascination is the creamy colour, due to silt frozen in the glaciers for eons, now released through climate change. We discussed kayaking, but if you can't see obstacles in the water it becomes a bit iffy - esp. with a very strong current. Image a lemon flavoured aquamarine milkshake - such is the colour of the Abathacas River - and other creeks and rivers that carry silt into the Artic Sea.
    Chariot needs an oil change next week in Calgary. Always thought Calgary was surrounded by peaks - it ain't. But was home to Winter Olympics.
    Certainly many more cosmopolitan tourists here - and spending. Also CAD is worth .75 US. Canada could be benefiting from US racial / homophobic attitudes. Have met a lovely couple from Poland, Jacwuine and Ella, a girl from Australia and our neighbours from Germany - all today. True tourism noon in Canada.
    In this camp for tonight and tomorrow (Saturday) night. Truly lovely high peaks, forest and river and as a reminder - damn fool raven that woke me up in my rocker beach chair - I thought it was a grizzly wanting to play peek-a-boo. (!)
    Truly amazed at the beauty and elegance of the elk we have encountered. Connie compares to South African kudu (antelope), in the magestic antlers and demeanour.
    Spending second night here (today Saturday), might have to boondok Sunday. Weekdays easier to find campsites.
    Bit of a letdown, Canada as a whole. Apparently East of here is pure prairie - West to the Pacific is allot more of Alberta, then British Colombia... so back Stateside we go. Certainly the drive Banff to Jasper was worth it, but - negatives already detailed. Enough!
    Very nice to be non-mobile for awhile.
    So... looking forward to Nature 'State side. Can't imagine why I am so oversold and disappointed in Canada - or are we in the 'wrong' part geographically?
    Images:
    Camp table, no roof? Yup, solar powered.
    Elk - poor shot.
    Row of RVs = Banff "parking lot" so-called camp ground.
    Read more