Satellite
  • Day 8

    la pointe aux canonnier

    October 7, 2015 in Mauritius ⋅ 🌧 26 °C

    Slept in again and went to breakfast just after 10am, so we were at the beach again. We saw Kelsey's family who had said they wouldn't be around until lunch time because they were going fishing with the family. Apparently the kids thought it was too rough and so they headed back early. Though they did catch a large salmon while they were out.

    The kids headed off to join the other kids and went to archery first, but were a little too late to have a go. Kabz asked the kids to go to mini club centre and surprised them by saying they were going to join in with the little kids concert that night and so would have to practice the dance today.

    Steve was able to catch Leon just before he headed out sailing and so was able to join him and get a refresher on how to sail the catamaran.the wind was a little stop and start but they had fun.

    The kids were going to go snorkelling however there were jellyfish in the water and so it was not on. The waterskiing was also cancelled but opened up later in the day.

    Both the kids and us were basically around the pool for the next few hours, swimming, sipping cocktails and reading our books or blogging.

    The kids did their own thing for lunch and Tahlia again had her staple, the wood fired pizza which is cooked every lunch and dinner and is really really good!

    By the time we were ready for some lunch, the main dining was almost closed so Steve ducked in and grabbed a burger, but then we headed to the beach restaurant where they do an a la carte mains lunch and buffet entrees and dessert. Liesl chose the crumbed chicken with tempura vegetables. We then plonked back down at our spot by the pool.

    In the afternoon the kids were asked to meet at the table tennis tables with the kids club team and they went down to the grassed area for a 'paint fight' they found us later and they were all covered in different coloured paints.

    Mum and dad eventually dragged themselves away from the pool and went down to the beach for a sail. The wind was a lot stronger and more consistent than the morning and so it was great fun and were out until the boats all had to come in.

    While the kids were in the rooms scrubbing themselves clean, there was a show by the waterskiing team at 5pm. As at all shows, it's all hands on deck and most of the male GO's were involved. They did a mixture of tricks, and while they were no SeaWorld professionals, they were very entertaining.

    At about 6pm as we were headed back to our room we thought it was cool enough to get onto the tennis courts for a half hour. We stayed long enough to have the lights turned on, our first tennis day/nighter.

    The kids had already headed off for dinner with their friends and Kelsey's family were out at their families house for dinner and last goodbyes before they were going home in the morning. So we went to dinner a little later than normal and as we headed in one of the staff showed us to a lovely table for two outside near the garden with the sound of the water feature behind us, almost romantic!

    The theme for dinner was Mauritian and so we tried a couple of things we'd not had before, including the palm heart or 'millionaires' salad. Steve also tried a wrap, with multiple types of beans, spices and chilli which was lovely. Liesl had a traditional noodle dish.

    After dinner the mini club did their show on the stage and the older kids joined them for the final song. The parents were then invited to the stage also and so dad got up there, meaning all of us have now 'been up on stage' this holiday!

    It was Kelsey's last night and so after some running around to say goodbyes to the staff we farewelled them, but no doubt the kids will stay in touch.
    Read more