Satellite
  • Day 70

    Last day in the marquesas

    May 29, 2017 in French Polynesia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Only 5000 people visit this archipelago every year, the Aranui 5- guests being a big part of it since coming twelve times with around 200 tourists. Before human settlement there were only around 400 plants and only little animals, no mammals, a few birds and many insects. Mango, Banana and all those fruites came with humans around 200 years ago as well animals as rats, goats, horses and chicken. There are so many chicken here. They do not chase them because they eat the centripete, who can be 15cm long with a big clamps in the front and a thing I do not want to meet here. So chicken can fly again and they make a lot of noises, no matter the hour.
    The marquesas is very green and vegetables and fruits grow very easily. It is still not rentable to do a lot of it since it is so far away from everything here and the pay for the picker for example is high since it's kind of Fench here. The Aranui changed it's itinerary and is the only boat that goes directly from here to the society islands like Borabora. They do not have fresh goods there and the quality from Tahiti is not comparable to the one here. A new market for the people in the Marquesas opened with selling fresh fruits and vegetables to those islands. So the rich and beautiful can eat fresh mango, too.
    Read more