Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Donji Milanovac, Serbia

    June 21, 2023 in Romania ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    Not many highlights of Donji Milanovac. First Viking tour we left halfway through...in any location. Took us to a concert of the choir of the Holy Trinity Church. A quaint little place pictured herein Again, a Serbian Orthodox denomination. Then we went to the public school, no kids, to have a teacher explain the Serbian alphabet. We walked out. Very, very hot today...about 92 degrees and very little shade. I didn't take photos of the water but think of India...very dirty. We leave around 230p to "scenic cruise" near the Iron Gate.

    Finally beautiful shore lines along the not-so-blue Danube. Cruising through the Iron Gates Gorge (Danube Gorge) had many highlights including the 130 foot high carving in the side of a mountain in Romania of King Decebalus, who ruled the area around 100AD. It is actually in the city of Orsava, Romania and was carved in that mountain between 1994-2004. Yes, 20 years ago. The Carpathian Mountains are quite lovely. In this area the Danube has Romania to the north + west (left) and Serbia to the east + south (right) as we sail both south and mostly east.

    And a little geography lesson...we began in Austria and then through Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia and Romania, with a stop tomorrow in Bulgaria. Look at the attached map for clarity.
    Read more