Satellite
  • Day 6

    Back to the Airport

    March 4, 2019 in Norway ⋅ ❄️ -8 °C

    It was now time to start the final drive to the airport at Tromsø. There are two routes to get from Sommarøy to Tromsø and my preferred option was to take the Northern road. Having checked at the hotel reception I was advised to take the southern coastal route due to the potentially bad conditions away from the coast.

    The drive to the airport was quite straightforward with some heavy snow showers at times which weren't any problem because they didn't last very long. Before long I was refuelling the car and returning my car to Hertz. All that was needed now was to check-in, find something to eat and then board my flight. But first I needed to squeeze into a cubicle in the men's toilets.

    Now, I realise quite how that sounds but the reality is I needed to change my clothes because as I arrived at the airport I was wearing all my thermal attire, so sitting on a plane for three hours in clothing suitable for standing outside at -10c would only lead to a potential melt down ... literally. It was quite a manoeuvre to get into the cubicle but I managed okay and was soon having a bite to eat and watching the snow falling heavily outside.

    In no time at all I was boarding the plane to fly back to Gatwick and being amazed at how the airport copes when everywhere is covered in snow. In Britain, two snowflakes closes just about everywhere but here - no way. Things weren’t entirely straightforward however, because the amount of snow made it difficult for the aircraft to be pushed back from its stand - the wheels of the tractor (if that’s what it’s called) couldn’t get grip so grit had to be put down to help. Then the plane had to taxi to an area where de-icer was spayed over it then finally the 737 taxied to the runway and we were off, with a final view of the city before we climbed up towards and through the snow clouds.

    One last surprise: I had a window seat and as we rose above the clouds I peered out to find Aurora waving goodbye. Very dimly shining and white because of that, but a lovely sight to end my time in Norway.
    Read more