Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Caral

    May 28, 2018 in Peru

    Today's tour had a very early pick-up, 5:10am, then a 2 hour drive north of Lima, before an hours drive along a very bumpy road for 23km to Caral.

    I'd never heard of Caral before researching this trip. It was discovered from aerial photographs in 1984, buried under sand dunes. From that time to the present they've unearthed a whole city of pre-incan pyramids and buildings, all dating from 3000-1200 BC, making it the oldest city in all the Americas.

    They pyramids surround the main plaza, and were used for giving offerings to the gods. Alongside the pyramids were buildings made of stone, denoting the residence of a very important person, usually a preist. The commoners lived in wooden huts, long since disappeared. It was estimated to have a population of 3000 people, and was located 23km from the sea along the 44km long Supe valley which ended in the Andes. The valley was used as a trade route with many objects bartered. Flutes made from Condor and Pelican bones were discovered in a circular acoustic amphitheater on the site. The site has survived due to the very dry climate in the valley.

    Many part's of the city are still to be unearthed from the piles of sand.
    Read more