Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Cayó del Rosario

    June 18, 2018, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    We sail a fair bit west to Rosario Island, an uninhabited island. Rebecca decides to swim to shore, others take the inflatable boat, and a few of us including myself take kayaks.

    Due to the currents this island attracts a lot of flotsum and jetsum, unfortunately in this day and age a lot of it is plastic. So we decide to collect two big black bags of it, which the crew will dispose of properly at a refuse depot at Cayó Largó marina.

    Afterwards we have a picnic of lobster legs, accompanied with drink, then it's into the water for a mega game of volleyball.

    We kayak back to the boat, awaiting the zodiac with all the cameras. Just as it arrives near the boat, Clodagh falls into the water, accidently dragging the bag with her. We pull the bag out of the water quickly, getting it onto the boat, and emptying the cameras to flush them with fresh water, and put them in bags of rice to absorb the water.

    It's only then that I realise my camera is not amongst them, after a quick check we decide it must have fallen out, and is at the bottom of the Caribbean. The crew spring into action and all dive off the back of the boat. I wasn't expecting to see my camera again, but despite the water being about 30 feet deep, in only a short time the captain emerges from the water with it. Despite all efforts to save the cameras, they all die. Thankfully we manage to save the images on the memory cards.

    My camera had a fruitful, long seven years of use, taking ten's of thousands of photos, visited many countries, travelled about twice around the earth, and it was a fitting place for it to finish, on an amazing adventure.
    Read more