Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    St Peter's to Sydney

    August 17, 2022 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    What a rainy day!! We had planned to go for a walk a on few trails in around St. Peter's and possibly Battery Provincial Park, but it was pouring rain. All day!!
    So instead we went to the St Peter's Canal Historic Site and Learned about how the locks worked. We also learned that brackish means a combination of salt water and fresh water and Bras d'Or Lakes are brackish. And we learned that Bras d"or Lakes is an inland sea not a lake.
    We then went to the Nicolas Denys Museum. He founded three settlements, one of them being St. Peter's. The museum does not have any of his stuff but rather a lot of artifacts from his time. It was interesting. The most interesting artifact that is in the museum is a book bound in human skin. Yuch!!! They had it DNA tested and it originates from the Spain/Portugal area. Still Yuch!!!
    We then went to the Wallace MacAskill Museum. He was photographer and took pictures when everything was in black and white. His claim to fame is that he took the photo of the Blue Nose that was used for minting the dime.
    After doing all that we could in St. Peter's we drove to Sydney.
    On our drive we saw a sign for the UNESCO Cape Breton Biosphere. We drove for a while before figuring out that the biosphere was not a specific place but the area around Bras d'Or Lakes. However in the unceded Mi'kmaq territory of Potolak. That's where we found Chapel Island. It seems that this island is a sacred place for the indigenous people in Nova Scotia.

    After we settled into our "old school" motel, we went to the Marconi Historic Site and Museum. We learned that Marconi was inventor who is known for inventing the radio wave-based wireless telegraph system. Morse code was to communicate messages with this system.
    So it was a day little to no pictures but lots of education. We are hoping that we can get outside tomorrow, see some sites and take some pictures.
    Read more