Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Donegal to Westport

    May 19, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    On our way to Westport we made a few very interesting stops. The video was our first stop in the County Sligo where we stopped on the coast to watch the waves. People actually surf there 😲
    Next stop was in Carrowmore to see the megalithic tombs (standing stones). These are not as high as the ones in Scotland and England. I found out from one of our traveling buddies that these standing stones contain the cremated remains of people, while the ones in Scotland/England have bodies. As a result these tombs are much smaller.
    The tomb in the picture contains no more than twelve people. It is surrounded by a circular wall of stones that is about 6 meters high. The passage into the tomb faces east. When the sun rises on October 31 and May 31 it makes the inside of the tomb glow like fire. No one knows the reason for having the tomb built this way.
    Next stop was the Irish National Museum of Country Life. It was a really cool place. Much of the display items are made from straw so there were not a lot of artifacts available to to the museum. People who knew how to make these items were commissioned to make the items. I found the saddle and bridle particularly interesting.
    After that we stopped at School Island to see a castlelette and the cliffs.
    Big day!!
    Read more