Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Assumption of Mary

    August 15, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    The Christian feast day of the Assumption of Mary celebrates the belief that God assumed the Virgin Mary into Heaven following her death. Assumption Day is celebrated on or around August 15 in many countries, particularly in parts of Europe and South America.

    Assumption Day commemorates the belief that when Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ, died, her body was not subjected to the usual process of physical decay but was “assumed” into heaven and reunited there with her soul. This holiday, which has been celebrated since the fourth century CE, is a Christianization of an earlier harvest festival and, in many parts of Europe, is known as the Feast of Our Lady of the Harvest.

    For centuries celebrations were held in the honor of the goddess Isis of the Sea, who was born on this day according to mythology. With the coming of Christianity church leaders decided that the easiest way to handle this pagan ritual was to simply change it into a Christian holiday, hence the introduction of Assumption Day came forth.

    We saw many people combining a combination of both festivities.

    Children dressing up for concerts, window displays in the houses and great family traditions where families queued for considerable time outside a restaurant.
    Read more