Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

    May 22, 2016 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    At 8:00 am we transferred to the airport for our one hour and 20 minute flight to Victoria Falls. We arrived to much warmer temperatures than we've had in South Africa. It felt good to feel the heat!

    We arrived at our hotel, the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge mid afternoon and were immediate impressed by the location and decor. It's about three kilometres from town and sits on 29 hectares and has its own watering hole for the wildlife.

    We got settled in and then met up for a sundowner cruise on the Zambezi River. The rice is the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia and us home to hippos, elephants and scores of bird species. We cruised the river searching out wildlife and then enjoyed a spectacular sunset before returning to the hotel. We had dinner with some of our group at the hotel and enjoyed some warthog steak. After dinner we retired to the viewing deck where we had drinks and watched a herd of about 25 elephants wander down to the watering hole. Even though it was dark, the watering hole is somewhat lit up so we could watch them move around and drink. After the elephants left we were treated to an unusual sound display of hyenas fighting and screaming over some leftover food they found. We've never heard anything like that before! It sounded like someone was murdering someone and we could hear bones being crushed and torn apart.

    Once the hyenas left we went back to our room where we slept with the super structured screen door locked but the glass door open. You can't leave the screen door open or even unlocked or you'll likely be woken up by baboons tearing apart your room, not to mention the bugs entering in to feast on you.
    Read more