Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 132

    Kuala Lumpur

    August 11, 2016 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    We have arrived and Malaysia and are beginning a whole new leg of our trip. I’ve noticed a few things since we have arrived:
    1. The temperature. It’s reaaallllly hot and humid. Bali was hot, but at least there was the ocean or pool to cool off in.
    2. This is a real city. I was surprised how modern Kuala Lumpur is. They have ambitions of being comparable to Singapore by 2020.
    3. The price. Our dollar takes us a lot further here; we can eat a full dinner for about $3 CAD if we go to local stalls.

    Our day was filled with typical city tour stuff. Jungle Park Walk, KL Tower, Petronas Towers and KCLL Park. We bought an iPhone attachment to get wide angle shots of the towers from some sketchy hawkers and felt like typical tourists. To get out of the heat, we would duck into one of many giant malls. In the afternoon a storm rolled in so we tried to hop on a local bus to get us to a mall but the bus sat in traffic not moving for 15 minutes before we decided to get off and run for it. As the storm thundered on we caught the movie Suicide Squad.

    The highlight of Kuala Lumpur came at the end of the day with our food tour. We had heard good things about the food in Malaysia and were blown away. Our guide took us around for 4 hours to local stalls to try interesting food. It was amazing. We had to be rolled home we were so full. The food here is a blend of Chinese, Indian and Malaise. The classic meal being Nasi Lamak, a Malay fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaf and typically filled with an egg and other ingredients.
    Read more