Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Saameraa Island, Estonia

    August 28, 2017 in Estonia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    56 km ride today up the Sorve Peninsula. We got bussed from the Hotel to the Sorve lighthouse. This peninsula had considerable military significance, dominating the Irbe Strait and the Baltic Sea route to Riga.
    This was a very lovely ride- flat, sheltered and little traffic. We were able to stop and take photos. There were some lovely quaint houses and working farms. Coast with many white swans!! Just like we would see pelicans, I kept thinking they were 😊
    We went off the beaten track and cycled half the route on gravelly corrugated roads. Not everyone liked that! But we did like our lunch picnic spot.
    Along one of these tracks the front group saw a black snake cross the road. This is not a common occurrence, unlike Australia, so Minda, our guide, harassed it with a stick to get it back on the road for the rest of us to see. He gave up when it decided to strike back at him!! You could tell he's not used to dealing with poisonous snakes!!!! It was quite a big one for here.
    This had been the first time the Saameraa Island had been included in the itinerary, they used to do the smaller island of Hiiumaa.
    Our hotel had a spa centre so we had it booked from 5.30-7.30 pm. I'm not a fan of saunas but I spent an hour in and out of saunas and cold pools and muscles feel great!
    Read more