Satellite
  • Day 45

    What an eye opener

    August 7, 2019 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Following breakfast in the revolving restaurant where we enjoyed overlooking Sarajevo, we to travelled to “The Tunnel of Hope” .
    As we drove, we were given information about the tunnel and the terrible siege of Sarajevo. I
    Sarajevo was under siege from 1992- 1995, after Bosnia tried to declare its independence. There was no way to get food, water or supplies of any kind, into Sarajevo and all services were cut off. Finally, in March 1993, the Bosnian army began building what became known as the “The Tunnel of Hope”.
    This was top secret, and husbands couldn’t even tell their families. The tunnel linked the two areas of Dobrinja and Butmira, allowing food, war supplies and humanitarian aid into the city. It was 800m long.
    When we arrived at “The Tunnel of Hope, we were given a guided tour, shown a video and some time to look around by ourselves. It was a very sobering experience.
    After this we had a guided tour of Sarajevo with a very passionate and patriot guide.
    We visited a Mosque, Synagogue, church, a few bridges.
    There were bullet holes everywhere, also very modern buildings trying to rebuild.
    We were told of the Sarajevo Rose - on the footpaths are painted red splotches - the sites of gunfire. They are still there as memorial and reminders.
    Read more