Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Morning walk

    October 15, 2023 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We were planning to go on the Hop on Hop off bus today but it's not running as a lot of streets are closed because of a cycle race. See a following page about that.

    We walked down to the Spice Bazaar, also called the Egyptian Bazaar. The Grand Bazaar is closed on Sundays but this looks to be a smaller version of that. Certainly doesn't have 4,000 shops or 16 streets in it. Like most markets, most shops are the same anyway.
    I buy my obligatory fridge magnet and flag lapel pin.
    Then we found a coffee shop. The owner is Turkish but born in Sydney.

    We head back to Sultanahmet and find another small bazaar near the Blue Mosque. Now that we live in a smaller house I'm less inclined to buy as many souvenirs as I used to. Where to put them?

    It's obvious there's a major cycle race happening - tents, cycle ways have been fenced off, banners and cameras set up.

    We have soup for lunch at a decent time so we can have a good last supper tonight.

    We have tea at a rooftop terrace restaurant with a great view. We've been wanting to have a type of kebab that is in a clay pot 🍯 that is put on fire then hit the pot to break it open. It's called a Testi Kebab.
    The waiter decides I need to get up and "cook" my dinner. It's all part of the performance. Some random guest filmed it but Steve "was so mesmerised by the performance" he forgot! He did get a couple of pics early on though 😂.
    Inside the pot was a very nice beef stew. There are many types of kebabs here, not just ones on sticks.
    Read more