Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 179

    Gibraltar

    November 19, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    We spend two days exploring Gibraltar - the first day was quite wet so we did the shopping thing. Crossing the frontier required passports and then a walk across the airport runway into the town. The queue of traffic and people grew quite large if there was a plane landing or taking off - it is a very busy frontier.
    The mains street was very busy as two cruise ships were in the harbour - between them about 3800 people discharged onto the streets. There was quite a buzz around the town.
    We set off to walk over to Europa Point at the southern tip but persistent rain persuaded us to return to the town centre. We did get to see the botanical gardens which were quite nice. We checked out the cable car for access to the top of the rock but decided to leave it until the next day.
    Karen was very pleased to find a Morrisons supermarket tucked in next to the cruise liner docks.
    The following day the cable car was closed due to high winds. Not to be deterred we walked up the rock instead and had a brilliant day in the nature reserve, taking in the historical and contemporary attractions.
    St Michaels cave is spectacular, the views from O'Haras Battery equally so. Africa on the horizon was shrouded in rain cloud. The barbary monkeys were charming and on the whole well behaved although a couple seemed intent on wanting a free ride. We just about managed the sky walk with its glass floor but neither of us were comfortable. We took the Inglis way over to the northern end of the rock which was a nice walk through the reserve.
    The highlight for us was the visit to the old siege tunnels which are carved through the rock so cannon could be aimed at the Spanish lines during the 18th century siege.
    We finished with a visit to the old Moor Castle.
    We enjoyed five hours walking on the rock which we found fascinating
    Read more