Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 262

    Hokitika

    February 10, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We travelled to this town as we wanted to see the Gorge which we will do tomorrow on our way up north.
    The road from Fox Glacier to Hokitika is a great driving road through temperate rain forest the whole way.
    We visited the Fox Glacier prior to the start of our journey which comprised of a short walk and a 200 m climb to see the current end of the glacier. We could see the higher reaches of the glacier as we approached - which starts at the top of Mount Cook. The glacier has been receding for 250 years as we are still coming out of the last ice age and the planet has been getting warmer. It was awe inspiring to see the huge valley that the ice had created over the many years. We had expected the approach to the glacier to be chilly, and so were well prepared, wearing long trousers and carrying fleeces and waterproofs. We didn't need any of them, as we were bathed in sunshine the whole way up.
    We then walked around Lake Mathieson which offers great mirror views of Mount Cook, but not today as the water was agitated by a breeze. This did not spoil the walk as the views were lovely and the sun light playing through the trees and tree ferns produced great patterns on the track floor.
    We had been told about a campsite in Hokitika which we tried to get into but it was full. We got into one nearby which is at the top of a hill over looking the sea. Quite a set up, as the campsite is set in what was once a hospital. The camping pitches are set in the grounds of the hospital and all of the facilities within the very old building. We had use of various lounges, bathrooms and the kitchen, all set in an old rambling building. There were still hospital beds all made up but not being used. Never been to a campsite like it!!!! We had the most amazing view of the sun going down , the timing of which would roughly coincide with the sunrise in the UK. We met fellow campers from Denmark, Germany, America and China, but no other English.
    Read more