Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 303

    Armstrong Beach

    March 23, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    This was a travel stop on our way to Airlie Beach, a quiet little site directly behind the sand.
    We received a very warm welcome from the friendly family who own the site. Happy hour at about five pm, good fishing and mind the crocs on the beach after night fall.
    We spent the afternoon on the beach fishing and reading, just along from our hosts who were trying their luck too. The sea was quite cloudy with quite a lot of weed floating about due to previous storms. The sea temperature was 29 deg C so we wouldn't be catching cold water fish - it is the Coral Sea which surrounds the Great Barrier Reef, we are on the Capricorn Coast.
    We came off the beach in time for a quick shower before Happy Hour and then spent an hour or two in the company of many of the other residents of the site. Beer and wine in hand. Some had just arrived before us, all had boats for fishing in the bay and the creek (alongside the crocs) and were here for a few weeks. This site fills up at this time of year with a group of people who return regularly for the fishing and they have formed a small welcoming community.
    We may return to this site on some other trip.
    Read more