Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 434

    Bampton

    August 1, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We are pitched on a CL site on a farm near Bampton as we wanted to walk a bit of the Thames path. The couple who own the site are very friendly and told us about Bampton which is a pretty village used quite often as the backdrop in period drama productions. Not least The Suspicions of Mr Whitcher and more recently Downton Abbey. The village community hall has a display covering the events.
    We walked to the village across fields of wheat which were being harvested. The wheat was cut on the stalk and bailed in sheaves then manually pitch forked into small piles for a larger bailer. This farmer is a Master Thatcher so he threshes the wheat independently and retains the stalks for thatching. Bampton is indeed a very nice village and the community centre display quite interesting.
    We drove to Lechlade a very nice town on the side of the River Thames, and from there we did some of the riverside walk. We took in St John's Lock and the lock/weir at Buscot. Pleasure boats and narrow boats aplenty in this highest navigable section of the river.
    Karen is using her boot for the moment under instruction of the physio. for longer walks on uneven surfaces.
    On Saturday we took the bus into Witney, a larger town which is quite pleasant, although there is no where to walk along the River Windrush that runs through the town. K got some bargains from the Saturday market.
    Read more