Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 526

    LLandovery

    November 1, 2019 in Wales ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    We are staying on a great site on the edge of the Brecon Beacons. We spent the first two days rain dodging, but managed a walk into town for a look around on Saturday. Llandovery is a small town on the River Towy with two competing hardware shops and some cafes on its small high street, but not much else. The ruin of an old Norman Castle nestles behind the high street where a splendid stainless steel monument commemorates a local land owner who upon failing to spragg to Henry IV the whereabouts of one of the key Welsh rebels in the area at the time was summarily hung drawn and quartered on the very spot where the monument now stands.
    On Sunday we woke up to a beautiful sunny autumnal morning and set off for a walk in the woods above the town. We were passing a cottage at high level and had just commented upon the spectacular views when the owner drove up and invited us in to the grounds for a look. (The Round Lodge) It was originally the grace and favour lodging for the head gamekeeper serving the estate which it stands upon. The original large estate has now been broken up and sold on, and Price Charles now owns the "big house" which has been renovated after two large fires. The owner of the Round Lodge was very keen to talk and had many stories to relay. We thought we would never get away from him - but his stories were very informative.
    The walk was very beautiful through the trees which were sporting their autumnal colours. After all the rain the rivers and brooks were raging.
    Read more