Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 619

    Byron Bay

    February 2, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    On our last day in Byron Bay we experienced some of the extremes that this country can throw at you.
    We decided to go and have a look at Minyon Falls, which is a high water fall in the hinterland about 25k from Byron Bay. The day was shaping up to be exceedingly hot and the humidity levels increased through the day. Our 25k journey ended up being a little bit more than that, as somewhere between Possum Shoot Road and Repentance Creek we managed to get ourselves on the wrong road and ended up at Bindi Burra, quite how we did this we do not know as there seemed to be only one road to our destination. Some time later we arrived at the top of the waterfall - a truly spectacular lookout and a great drop to the plunge pool below - there was a little water flowing over the falls as there had been some rain within the previous two weeks. The top of the falls was high above the canopy of the forest below. Karen had researched a bush walk from this point which was a 4.5 k walk from the top to the plunge pool below. We took the walk slowly in the searing heat and soaked up the sounds of the forest as we ascended and ultimately descended to the pool below. The noises within the forest were fabulous - nothing but nature, the call of birds and the rasp of cicadas. It was a very strenuous walk in the heat and humidity but we thoroughly enjoyed it. After a little over 2 hours walking and a final scramble over rocks we found the plunge pool. The water was cool and refreshing, just what we needed prior to the climb back to our car.
    We arrived back at Byron Bay in tremendous humidity and darkening skies. Just as we settled the heavens opened and a large electric storm rumbled through - massive rainfall with strong winds - just what the locals had been begging for after a very hot spell.
    Overnight the storm continued, but in the morning the rain had abated and we were able to pack up in the dry. Two of our canopy tent poles were bent by the amount of water which fell on the roof, luckily we were able to straighten them sufficiently for us to continue our travel.
    Read more