Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 659

    Glass House Mountains

    March 13, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We had the day to ourselves, and after a lazy start we drove off into the Glass House Mountains which are in the hinterland behind Deception Bay - large volcanic outcrops that protrude above the surrounding country side. These rocky tors are sacred to the aboriginal community, who traditionally occupied this land prior to European settlement. We walked up Ngungun mountain, which is one of the easier climbs and in doing so we " acknowledged the traditional ownership of these lands by the aboriginal people and paid tribute to the elders of the local aboriginal community both past, present and future."
    Those words or something similar are a common refrain seen on posters and on official documents but are quite misleading -, the aboriginal tribes do not claim to have owned the land but be part of it and working with it. The words appear to be an apology for taking over and shoving them over to one side. The views at the top though were quite splendid.
    Had we climbed up one or other of the few other mountains in the area we would have been offending the elders as some of them are considered by them to be the most sacred.
    Saturday saw us return for a Lamb bbq at Eatons Hill with the family - we enjoyed the new pool in the sunshine.
    Sunday was sunny too but windy. We drove around to Caloundra to look at the Sunday market. The beach there was too wind swept to lie on, so we found one on the leeward side of Bribie Island where we settled down for a couple of hours with our books.
    Through this week we had been keeping a keen eye on developments with the coronavirus and we were becoming aware that the Australian Government were beginning to make serious noises. We visited two Flight Centre shops during the week for updates on the flight situation and were advised that things were currently ok. On the basis of that we did a major shop in anticipation of a nice week at Maroochydore - our next stop further up the Sunshine Coast where were travelling to on Monday.
    Read more