Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 729

    Bedale

    May 22, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    We have been spending some more time on our bikes, as well as doing our longer walks from our site in the past week - but still only one exercise period per day.
    On one of our walks we came across a pheasant hen with about 10 new chicks in tow, absolutely charming but we did not have our camera with us.
    We did a great ride towards Richmond to the north of us - passing past Catterick before turning westward - climbing up a long drag through Tunstall before plunging back down into the Valley to return via the Deer Park at Hunton.
    We also visited Masham (pronounced Massam in these parts) to the south of us via a hilly route above the valleys. The countryside lanes were quiet and the views beautiful. Masham was quiet with only a few people in the market square - that changed on Sunday when the motorbike boys turned up apparently disregarding the SD rules.
    On Tuesday when we returned the town was quiet and we enjoyed a coffee and tea in the town square - served through a window from a take away cafe.
    We travelled, on Wednesday, to Ripon to visit the supermarket for a major stock up practising social distancing in the aisles. Two full trolleys later we returned via the LPG station to our site where Chloe will remain for the next four weeks. We enjoyed a sunbathe in the glorious afternoon sun.
    On Thursday we cycled to Masham again, this time we took a picnic and locked our bikes up in the riverside carpark. We took a walk along the river bank pathway returning to Masham via the Marfield Wetlands and alongside The Black Sheep Brewery.
    The smell of hops stewing was evident around the brewery which was clearly going back into production. We wandered around to the Theakston Brewery to see what they were up to - at the visitor centre a sign stated "Old Peculiar straight out of the wood" we resolved to return to sample both breweries a bit further down the line. The Theakston Brewery is no longer owned by Scottish and Newcastle and their website is vague as to the current ownership although the Theakston family are involved after the buyout. The Black Sheep brewery is owned by a junior Theakston family member who started the brewery upon the sale to S and N in the 1980s.
    Myself and my school friends enjoyed many a good pint of Theakstons "Standard" in the middle house at Marske by the Sea in our youth.
    Read more