Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 1 104

    Sherwood forest

    1 juin 2021, Angleterre ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We set off on our travels with smiles on our faces, as we had been looking forward to this moment for some time. We had found a CL site which was at the end of a long narrow lane (Deerdale Lane) in the thick of the forest and it did not disappoint - it was completely peaceful with no traffic noise - all we could hear were the birds in the trees. We were the only van on this small site, but had the company of a friendly donkey called Coco. Apparently he came to his new home here on the site from a donkey sanctuary in Sidmouth (one we have visited more than once on a wet day in Sidmouth) and until recently he enjoyed the company of another donkey, also from the sanctuary - sadly his friend has now died, leaving Coco alone. The owner of the site said that as donkeys are social creatures the sanctuary request that you do not house only one. However, upon the most recent check up visit from a member of staff from the sanctuary they felt Coco would be happier staying put. And he receives lots of human contact, with campers visiting making a fuss of him. He certainly appeared happy!
    In the sunshine we enjoyed our first bbq of the year and were able to eat outside without heavy clothes on - wonderful.
    We cycled directly from the site through the forest cycle ways to Edwinstowe and onward to the Sherwood Forest visitor centre. We visited the craft centre then completed the Wildwood trail through the forest, a 4 mile walk around the woodland which took in the Major Oak which is an ancient tree thought to be 1000 years old. This particular tree is supported by a considerable number of props and appears to be thriving unlike many others around the forest the trunks of which stand tall as natural sculptures.
    The visitor centre and forest here were very busy with people enjoying the summer sunshine, most of whom were completing short trails to the Major Tree which meant that Wildwood trail was sparsely populated and we had it almost to ourselves.
    En savoir plus