Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,107

    Malham

    June 4, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    A drive to Yorkshire by way of Bolsover and Mansfield. Bolsover where we had hoped to visit the castle but road closures barred our way and Mansfield to stock up with food and fuel.
    We arrived in early afternoon at another CL site deep in the countryside of the Yorkshire Dales. Hurries Farm near Airton and Malham, where we are planning to complete one of the iconic walks around Goredale Scar and Malham Cove. A truly beautiful location to stay for 4 nights, but quite a hairy drive along narrow winding lanes to reach it. All we can hear from our van is the sounds of sheep and cows, and there is a field adjacent containing 2 rheas. We received a fine Yorkshire welcome upon arrival - but then we are in god's own county!!!
    On Saturday we unhitched the bikes and cycled the 9 miles into Skipton to visit the very vibrant street market. The last time we were here there was snow on the ground just before a Christmas, this time we had glorious sunshine. We cycled along narrow country lanes surrounded by beautiful scenery and then along the Leeds-Liverpool canal from Gargrave with lots of narrowboat activity on the water. Swans and ducks were aplenty with ducklings and cygnets in tow.
    Read more