Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,109

    Malham

    June 6, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    The forecast for Sunday was a good one so we decided that this would be a good day for our walk. his brought about a sharp intake of breath from our farmer host who advised that it would be a very busy walk as it was the weekend.
    We set off anyway, as we had been looking forward to completing this walk for some time. We picked up The Pennine way at Airton walking northwards along a beautiful river side path. We passed a large walking party from a holiday group who had stopped to admire the views of the cove from across the valley then pitched off to the North East to pick up the footpath to Janet's Foss, a waterfall deep within a wooded glade. It was very busy here as the waterfall lies next to a road with car parking and it is clearly on the must see list. There were many children playing in the plunge pool below the fall.
    Afterwards we took the short walk up to Goredale, beneath the Scar, where the pathway passes through a narrow ravine, rock climbers were honing their skills on the vertical and sometimes overhanging valley sides.
    From here we returned to the main path and had our picnic in the valley before we climbed up to the hill tops at the side of Malham Cove, the views from the top were spectacular, although the walking route was busy there was enough open space for everyone.
    The Cove and the Limestone pavement at the top were well worth climbing up to, after a little time taking in the views we left the high ground to follow the path into the village of Malham.
    We returned to the site via The Pennine Way once again and two very weary souls completed the walk in late afternoon. Karen' phone app advised that she had completed 29840 steps
    Read more